At GCU we offer many selections of countertops. From a variety of natural stones to many different brands of man made  quartz stones. There are pro’s and con’s of each different type of stone that you will need to consider when deciding on a stone, to ensure you pick the best stone to fit your needs and make your design perfect.

Marble vs Granite 

When choosing countertops for your kitchen or bathroom, granite and marble surfaces are popular choices. They are natural stones so both marble and granite surfaces are susceptible to chipping and staining. However, granite is much harder and more durable than marble which causes it to be less prone to stains and scratching. For this reason, granite is often found in kitchens, while marble is more common in other areas, like bathrooms.

Granite vs Quartz

Granite is 100% natural stone. Quartz is made up of about 93% natural quartz aggregates mixed with the remaining 7% of color pigments and polymer resins. The resins bind the particles together.

Maintenance

Both materials require maintenance, with granite requiring more than quartz:

  • Quartz: Quartz does not need initial or continued sealing
  • Granite: Granite will be sealed upon installation, and then you will need to reseal on a regular basis

Appereance

As with any material, the visual differences between granite and quartz are a matter of your preference.

 

  • Quartz: Engineered quartz, is poured into slabs the same each time with all flaws engineered out to give every slab a consistent pattern, without any flaws or imperfections.
  • Granite: Natural slab granite, for all its beauty, has natural flaws and imperfections. They do not affect the durability of the stone, but do not appeal to home owners who prefer a more consistent pattern.

Durability

Granite is a durable natural countertop material  and is known for resisting stains, cracks, and chips.  But Quartz rates a bit higher on the hardness scale and is slightly more resistant to damage.

 Quartzite vs Granite & Quartz

Quartzite like granite is a beautiful natural stone, it requires the same maintenance like sealing as granite does where as quartz does not. Quartzite is harder than granite or quartz making it less sustainable to heat, damage, cracks or chips. Quartzite is not as abundant as granite and quartz limiting the amount of color selections available and also making it more expensive in pricing.

 

 

If you still are undecided or concerned about picking the right stone for your countertops please give us a call at 706-283-8827 and we’ll be happy to answer further questions and help you make the best decision for your project.